If you are interested in submitting a personal story or travel narrative, please Contact Us. We are very open to any piece, style or topic that works for you as a writer; however, we are not looking for destination guides or a list of things to do. Articles are generally between 750-1500 words and are based on the below categories. We recommend submitting photos with your article, if possible.
- Growing Up In
A personal story about growing up in your home town. Examples:
Growing Up in Ikeja, Nigeria
Growing Up in Cleveland, Texas
- Living In
A personal stories about life in a specific place, or a narrative about the values, customs or people of your city. Examples:
Where to Find the Best Barbecued Rat
Living on a Sailboat
Living in Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Traveling In
An article on travel to a specific city, town or place. Some suggested prompts below;
- Conversations and encounters while traveling. Example: Traveling in Singapore
- A narrative highlighting the look, feel and tapestry of specific places or neighborhoods within a city or location. Example: Living in Nairobi, Kenya
- A travel story focusing on the historical, political or social background of a location. Example: Traveling in Matagalpa, Nicaragua
- An article about local architecture, food, art, music, dance, literature etc. Example: Traveling in Santa Emilia, Nicaragua
- A story of a particular adventure you had while traveling. Example: Traveling in Kakku, Myanmar
Writing Style Recommendations
Although not necessary, we do recommend trying to use one of the following techniques:
- Add humor to your article. Example: Where to Find the Best Barbecued Rat
- Add a conversation to your piece. Example: Living in Nairobi, Kenya
- Explain cultural practices and history. Example: Living in Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Tell a good story. Example: Growing Up in Okene, Nigeria
- Call out small businesses or restaurants you discovered or know of (with a link to their facebook/website) – we like to support the local economy! Example: Traveling in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- We prefer articles that are not necessarily overtly full of praise for your city, nor are a list of places to go – rather we are looking for stories that speak to your unique experiences. Example: Traveling in Tambor Beach, Costa Rica
- Please submit a catchy title.
- Please try and include external links in your pieces, if possible.
- Please submit a focus keyword (usually the location – i.e. Nairobi) for your article.
- Please make sure that the focus keyword is present in the first paragraph.
If you would like to submit an article, please email us the following:
- The categories and locations you would like to write about. We prefer stories about locations that we do not have articles on. Check our homepage.
- A picture (only if you would like us to display it) of yourself and a short bio along with a work sample.
- Please also submit statistics on your location with your article, including population, size, main language and currency.
We reserve the right to reject any submission. We reserve the right to publish any content in an ebook or physical book.